Monday, April 06, 2015

2167 : Saucerful of secrets

Between two individuals, just like "boxing" is essential to build trust, so is a need to have shared secrets. And no, I don't mean that in a Peter Theil kind of way (Google that...:-)).

A secret is a shared recipe for a hidden almost obscure way of firing a series of neurons. Like how do I get your brain to read a sentence and think of Arthur C Clarke's A Billion Names of God, without really saying it directly. For a try, I could say "I would rather watch Clark Gable in Gone with the wind a billion times, than spend time reciting the name of God.". (I know I know...stop those brickbats....Its a very cheesy, very kitschy example to make up!!....but I got across my point!!).

On a more subtle scale, the word games (either in speech or writing) is like leading the reader through a thought process which is similar to yours and hoping she cartographs in a similar lean. Like why the earth is full of sales people according to Douglas Adams (do google that up, its very interesting and funny).

Finally, a shared secret can also be an oblique way of throwing a listener/reader's brain into a lateral tizzy. Example is the classic koan "If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?". Its a classic to remind us of the observer/observable relationship and almost always gets the person the first time he/she hears this.

The title of this post comes from one of my favorite rock bands, but more importantly if you search up on the image of this album on google, you shall come up with a true puzzle. It contains eons of secrets, and hence the name of the album.

Get the drift?

Sharing a secret (I mean implicitly sharing, without ever directly mentioning it) also creates a shared conspiracy and build trust.

Like the Clark Gable above is a reference to when he was Gone with the wind, and the female protagonist of that movie is....well whatever...lets leave it there.

Shared secrets. Secret sauce. Master Wu Wei. And I am still trying :-)


Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | DreamyDonkey

No comments: