Wednesday, June 26, 2013

2042 : Zen Koan

I read this Zen Koan first in my teenage years and it had this hypnotic and poetic insight over me back then. It hit me hard, just like a Koan is supposed to. I read it again today, and felt it was worth mentioning – that it used to be a very powerful Koan for me once. Here it goes:

Two men were arguing about a flag flapping in the wind. "It's the wind that is really moving," stated the first one. "No, it is the flag that is moving," contended the second. A Zen master, who happened to be walking by, overheard the debate and interrupted them. "Neither the flag nor the wind is moving," he said, "It is MIND that moves."

Another one that made a deep impression on me when I first read it was:

If a tree falls in the woods and no one’s around, does it make a sound?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | DreamyDonkey

No comments: