Sunday, May 05, 2013

2009 : What is wrong with the kid ?

There is a kid in my apartment complex, who is about 8-10 years old. He creeps up on people and just freaks them out completely. He tells them, that "they are looking great today" or he tells them "My name is B, what is your good name?" or he tells them "Which apartment in this complex are you living in?"

Perfectly regular questions, except that he creeps up on you, and he has this quaint, unusual quality when he is talking to you.

He spoke to me twice recently, and I must admit that he did throw me out of gear, just as others as predicted he would....at least the first time he did.

There are two possibilities - either he has been damaged by some sort of personal abuse....or he is quite autistic. The reason I say the latter is, he seems intelligent and sharp, what he seems to be missing is his ability to read social situations.

I do want to help, but I am really unsure how, and more importantly I dont know his parents will take it.

We suburbanites are so used to "normal", anything off the curve, just throws us completely off balance. I wish I was mentally a little more tougher.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | DreamyDonkey

1 comment:

Adi Shall Rise! said...

"I do want to help, but I am really unsure how, and more importantly I dont know his parents will take it."


Since I am a parent of someone with a similar condition, I would suggest you listen to the kid with a non-judgmental (and even a sincerely curious) attitude. Think of him as a wonder rather than something wierd. You might find out he is actually quite interested in people, and wanting to trust you. If he does truest you, he may ask you to do things repeatedly. Do them! He will love it, and learn something about reading those social cues in the process. For more on how to help a child with autism... google for the SON RISE program. This is what we do for our son, and with it he has almost transformed himself into a social butterfly!